This website does not support this older version of InternetExplorer.

Please upgrade your browser with the latest version of Firefox, Chrome, or InternetExplorer.

(Close Window)
Website Accessibility
(510) 881-5743
Logo for Community Resources for Independent Living (CRIL) with a red rose with two fallen petals.
(510) 881-0218 TTY
Community Resources for Independent Living
Photo pf longtime Disability Action Network members
Jane and Rose at Disability Capitol Action Day in Sacramento.

Benefits Advocacy

Our Services

At CRIL our job is to help you become your own best advocate and planner, so you'll be ready to live the life you want. We'll tell you about financial and other benefits that might help you, at home, in school, on the job, and in the community.

Graphic of FAQ button.

“What benefits are available to people with disabilities?”

Counselors at each CRIL office can answer questions about each of the following state and federal disability benefits for which you may be eligible: Social Security Disability Income (SSDI), Supplemental Security Income (SSI), Medi-Cal and Medicare, In Home Supportive Services and the Social Security Ticket to Work program. You may also benefit from the CA State Department of Rehabilitation’s vocational rehabilitation services, Assistive Technology and Device Lending programs, low-cost and Section 8 housing, and much more.

“Will CRIL help me apply for disability benefits?”

Counselors can provide you with information about how and where to apply for various benefits online, by telephone or in person. They can explain the application, screening and interview process and provide you with tips If you need advocacy assistance.

“Can I work and receive disability benefits?”

Yes, you may be able to secure employment and keep some of your disability benefits for a time through Social Security’s Ticket to Work program. Please see CRIL’s Employment Services page for more information.